Celebration of Champions® 2017
About The Peckham
for Cancer and Blood Disorders
at Rady Children's Hospital-San Diego
The The Peckham Center at Rady Children’s Hospital-San Diego is the largest pediatric hematology/oncology program in the region, serving San Diego, Imperial and Riverside counties. The Center is now rated as one of the top 20 pediatric oncology programs in the U.S. by U.S. News & World Report.
The Peckham Center's hematology/oncology patient load has grown tremendously in the last decade. Recent patient data include:
- 210 children were newly diagnosed with cancer
- 375 cancer patients received active therapy
- 800 cancer patients needed long-term follow-up care
- 260 patients were treated for bleeding and clotting disorders
- 240 patients were treated for other hematological disorders
- 30 patients received bone marrow transplants
- In total, there were more than 14,000 cancer related visits to Rady Children’s
- And, despite their parents’ employment, more than 50% of the children who come each year to Rady Children’s have little or no private medical insurance.
A recently expanded Peckham Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders offers state-of-the art facilities to meet San Diego’s growing need for comprehensive pediatric cancer care. Its treatment, procedure, and outpatient exam rooms include the latest technology and equipment. An additional 38 private in-patient rooms provide advanced air filtering equipment for its fragile patients.
At the Peckham Center, cancer is the most frequent diagnosis, but patients are also treated for blood disorders such as hemophilia, sickle cell disease and von Willebrand’s disease. For some, a hematologic diagnosis can be equally frightening and life-altering as a cancer diagnosis.
The staff at the Peckham Center includes hematologists, oncologists, nurse practitioners, registered nurses nurse case managers educators and translators. The psychosocial team, which is supported by proceeds from the Celebration of Champions®, consists of psychologists, psychosocial RN Coordinator, social workers, child life specialists and parent liaisons. These expert clinicians are a true care team, providing state-of-the-art care with state-of-the-heart support to children and families coping with a hematology/oncology diagnosis.
Celebration of Champions® is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charity, EIN 33-0170626